Val, this posting is mostly for you. In the town where I live there is this woman who my friends and I affectionately call "shopping cart lady" because when the weather is warm you can always see her sprinting wildly down ** North, a fairly busy street, pushing a shopping cart around 10:00 a.m. My friend Val has really studied her, having lived on ** North street for a few years. I also passed her quite a few times, as that street was on my way to work. Val even got a few pictures of this lady with her cell phone once. She's obviously a little loopy (shopping cart lady, not Val), and hopefully not homeless. Anyway, to sit and watch her is quite a treat. She stops to cool herself off every so often and dumps an entire water bottle on her head. Well, get this, she showed up at my gym this morning. She came walking in with her hair and top sopping wet (she must have just dumped the water bottle) and sat down at the stationary bike. I really noticed her because as she pedaled she was wildly flailing her arms and head back and forth. I was trying not to stare but it was hard not to! She did it for at least 20 minutes. It sort of reminded me of that episode of "Friends" when Rachel goes running with Phoebe in the park and flails her arms all around while she's running. Anyway, so I finished my workout and was heading out of the parking lot. She was standing on the corner with a whole bunch of bags around her (minus the shopping cart strangely) and she was kind of wiggling around and pulling at something on her shirt. I noticed something slipping down her legs and realized it was her SPORTS BRA! She was taking off her sports bra on the corner of Main Street!!! I didn't put it together that this was shopping cart lady until I was relating this story to Mitch. He suggested it was her and I put it together and it all made so much more sense! So maybe shopping cart lady has given up running and taken up cycling!
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
You are one of my highlights lately. Your blog is always so funny! I really wish I had seen that. Strangely enough I have never even seen shopping cart lady. That story is going to keep me laughing for a while. Keep em comin' you are hilarious!
Ok WHUT? This is crazy. She was shimming off her bra past her legs in public? Oh man. I think she should stick with the cart, what do you think?
Sounds like one crazy gym you go to! At least it provides good stories to blog about!
She might also be the lady who would ride the bus back when I took the LTD to work. She always carried a bunch of bags and would sit in the corner and argue with herself. It's good to see she's attempted a more active approach to getting around!
I totally know shopping cart lady. Not personally, but I have seen her many many many times, seeing as we lived close to mystery north street. Many a times I saw her, wondered, and then marveled at her stamina. Oft times I would slow my car down and hope that she would jump into the cart after running behind it. Lucky choice in gyms!
I dont' know whether to laugh or cry! The other character in your town that I enjoy is who my sister and I call "Street Preacher." He is always on the corner by Old Navy and does not necessarily preach gospel! He just rants on and on about anything! Maybe we should set him up on a date with Shopping Cart Lady!
I've believe I have seen this lady too! I knew nothing about her until about a month ago. I have seen her 3 times running frantically down the street with 10-20 fully grocery sacks, but no cart. I would love to know if it was the same lady. I keep telling Jake about her, but he doesn't quite get how odd it is. Glad I didn't see her sliding her bra off. I would have probably wrecked my car.
Hey you! Been a long time! I saw Jesika at my sister and her brother's seminary graduation and I couldn't resist checking out your blog from hers :) So I hope you don't mind! It looks like life is good for you and Your little girl is darling! My blog is private so if you want an invite get me your email address. Thanks and I'll be checking in on you :)
I am tagging you-it's a bit lame, BUT I enjoy your humor. So, humor me, and check out the BRIEF tag on my blog.
Steve and I noticed the bag lady at the gym on the weekends a few months ago. Not only does she fill at least one entire locker with her shopping bags, but she also takes all of the bags into the changing stall with her. Strange. I wish I could have been there for this incident. That is just to bizarre!
I LOVE shopping cart lady! I see her all the time. That's hilarious that you actually saw her taking off her sports bra! I saw her in Walmart once and she was talking to a cashier... it was weird to see her talking and not just running down the road!
Post a Comment