Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School Lunch Love

Whoa time! Seriously slow down. I know every mother says this over and over but my goodness my little girl cannot really be in first grade. I dropped her off to school on the first day with a bit of a heavy heart. She was so excited she was literally bouncing off the walls in our house. That made it a little easier for me. My sister and I discussed this. It's not that we're not excited for our children to grow up and have new experiences and learn and mature--just that it is hard to imagine they are really old enough to do things like eat school lunch. It makes me want to snuggle Andrew and enjoy that his knuckles and elbows are still dimples and that Kate still says "basketti" for "spaghetti" because soon she will be able to pronounce it correctly, and I'll miss "basketti." Well, enough rambling, I'll get to what I wanted to document in this post and that is Marin's school lunch quotes. She LOVES school lunch. It is hilarious! She is totally her dad's daughter (he was also a lover of school lunch) and she loves P.E., recess, and school lunch the most (although my--or I should say my mom's--genes may have surfaced somewhere because she really likes Art too). She has been to three days of school so far and when I pick her up and ask her about her day, the FIRST comment she makes has been about school lunch.
Day 1: "Mom, I loved school lunch so much! There was even cheese to put on my hamburger!"
Day 2: "Mom, the nachos were so yummy!" -- a few minutes later -- "Mmm, mom, I can still smell those nachos." (Side note: Marin and Mitch have decided that on nacho days Mitch will come eat school lunch with her)
Day 3: "Mom, my corn dog was the best one I've ever tasted! Also the chocolate chip cookie was the best one I've ever tasted!"


Today is sliced ham or something so I sent a lunch with her. We'll see if she is like my nephew and starts crying when his mom sent him a lunch from home because he wanted school lunch so much. I'm so grateful she loves school so much. She has a wonderful teacher this year (with red hair just like her!), and I'm excited for her to learn and grow in school. I love my little red-head so much!


P.S. Do you think I should be a professional photographer? My use of shadows to completely hide facial features and expression is superb. Also, having my subjects look directly into the sun really gives them a nice stressed-out look in the photos.

2 comments:

eric + ashlee said...

Thanks Cara for the photo tips! I have just barely gotten the hang of getting the eyes half closed look, but the stressed look has been really hard to master. I never bought school lunch and really feel that ignited my lack of popularity in elementary school. All the cool kids get to buy lunch. Kudos for being a cool mom!

Avree said...

Haha are you sure she doesn't get her love of food from our side?