Saturday, July 12, 2008

More reasons why I am a nerd!

I was looking in my old journal (well, my ONLY journal because I've had the same one since 4th grade) and I found the greatest entry from 7th grade. I was looking for something completely different but this entry stood out because I wrote it in green pen. I believe it was in the year 1995 when I had glasses, was chubby, wore a size 8 1/2 shoe (my same size today), dorky clothes, and was just an all-out, complete nerd. Side note: it's very hard for an oldest child to be very cool. The 4 kids in my family have gotten progressively cooler ending with Blake who is the king of coolness. There were so many things that I just didn't get that everyone around me was talking about. Having an older sibling would have really helped out. Poor Marin.

Anyway, this journal entry is as follows:

"Today was kind of a bad day. I got in trouble, I got a 69/100 on my math test (but I can retake it), and the button fell off my pants in 2nd period. Don't worry I can handle it!"

I wonder how I handled the button falling off my pants with very much grace and dignity. I'm sure I didn't....

5 comments:

val said...

LOVED this post. I've laughed about it several times...just thinking about you telling yourself "don't worry i can totally handle it"
LOVE IT! thanks for the laugh.
good idea to break out the journal...

A STAR is born said...

I love that "I can handle it" thing. I read back in my journal and see how many times I'm reassuring some mystery reader that I'm fine, that "I'm not usually like this" or that I have it all figured out. Who are we really trying to convince, here?

PS Hi. I haven't talked to you in awhile. How art thou?

Melinda said...

Ah Cara, I love picturing a cute little you making sure it's documented that "you can handle it" and your actual test score, but with the assurance that you can retake it!!

eric + ashlee said...

I like how you told yourself you can "totally handle it" when you probably wrote this entry well after school got out that day. I'm sure that damage had been done by then, but you were probably hopeful you could recover and take care of the problem in the school days to follow. Like a big PR recovery situation or something.

As an oldest child myself, I totally empathize. At least we grew out of our nerdiness and are totally the icons of cool today, right?

Nicole said...

Wouldn't it be nice if a button falling off was all we had to handle!