Okay, this is probably so lame to the rest of you, but SO COOL to me! I recently Googled my name. I am a nerd and have done this several times before for no reason. This time, however, I actually had a purpose. I had just created a Facebook account and wanted to make sure my privacy settings were correct. And what did I find? So apparently a paper I co-authored for my graduate studies was finally published! My name was appearing and being referenced in like pages and pages of articles! Here is a quote from an article from WebMD (for some reason I thought the WebMD one was cool because I've gone here a bazillion times to play pediatrician for my kids, he he):
July 28, 2009 -- Students headed off to college this fall beware: The infamous freshman 15 is for real.
A new study shows that nearly one in four freshmen gain at least 5% of their body weight, an average of about 10 pounds, during their first semester.
"Almost one quarter of students gained a significant amount of weight during their first semester of college,” researchers Heidi J. Wengreen and Cara Moncur of the department of nutrition and food sciences at Utah State University in Logan write in Nutrition Journal....
I think this is so cool to read my name in that context because I spent so many hours and hours researching nutrition topics and referencing authors. It's also cool because there were so many articles referencing our research which means a whole bunch of people were actually interested in it!
Well anyway, it's just nice to be so dang famous, he he. Don't worry, I'll still remember you all when I make it big!

8 comments:
can i have your autograph? and an 8x10 glossy head shot to go with it?
No seriously, congratulations! that is cool!
Well look at you miss big-shot dietitian! They should name an ice-cream flavor after you at Aggie Ice Cream, like "Moncur Maple" or something. Really though, that is pretty awesome! Hopefully it makes that 50-something page thesis you had to write and defend feel more worth it!
I am jealous. I just googled my name, and alas, nothing. A side note: my word verification is "subholy." It knows I've been skipping church.
Seriously, I think that's really cool. Good job! All those girls who have doubted the Freshman 15 can now thank you for the warning.
Or they could just call me and I'll tell them about the Freshman 30.
Way to go Cara. That is way cool.
That is awesome Cara! It makes all your schooling worth it because now you have been quoted!! You should feel smarter!
How fun! That is really cool!
TOTALLY impressive Cara! Now you know I mean it when I say I want to be like you!! So cool!
Post a Comment