Friday, April 30, 2010

Code Blue

After a 3 1/2 hour long class, I am officially CPR certified. That's right. Feel free to collapse in cardiac arrest in my presence. Although according to research, you will still have a small chance of survival, I promise I'll do all I can. 2 breaths, 30 chest compressions. Since I am a dietitian in the hospital, it is imperative that I be able to perform CPR in case of an emergency at work. If I only had a dollar for every time I heard the words, "Code Blue! I need a dietitian, STAT!"....

I have to vent a little about the roughly 2-hour long movie I had to watch. What is up with these educational movies we watch for things like CPR classes? I'm serious. IHC makes us watch these movies all the time for training purposes. They over-act these huge dramatizations and it's ridiculous. I'll admit, I have a touch of ADD at things like this, and I sat there trying not to collapse in laughter when the 50 year old man too collapsed right outside the hospital ER with 2 EMT's within 5 feet of him, and a conveniently snap-button down shirt on. In fact, in every scenario, the unconscious person had a snap-button down shirt.

#1 thing I learned at my CPR class: Don't wear a snap button-down shirt if you don't want to end up getting CPR performed on you.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Cara you always make me laugh! I will feel free to collapse in cardiac arrest in front of you now. I was always too shy before...But I don't own a snap button shirt so you will have to just rip it off me. But I will have cherry lipgloss to make the mouth to mouth more fun.

Avree said...

This post made me laugh and Nicole's comment made me laugh. I'm going to feel a lot better letting you tend Spencer now that you can do CPR. Maybe you should teach what you learned to Mitch in case Matt ever has a skiing accident when he's with him.