Monday, December 19, 2011

The Green Smoothie


Okay, I am going to go a little "dietitian" on you all right now. I know many of you forgot I am one, what with all of my dessert and candy-loving talk. But I did spend a significant portion of my life studying the lovely topic of nutrition and healthy eating, so I feel that I must share my latest health idea with you. Mind you, I tend to shy away from things like this. So when 2 of my sisters-in-law told me about the Green Smoothie I admit I scoffed at first. But now I am a whole-hearted Green Smoothie drinker. I have provided this lovely picture of what I put into my green smoothies. I feel it is a delicate balance between healthy and disgusting-- I have only dared to stray from my original recipe once with horrifyingly disgusting results. So now I just stick with this:

1/2 banana (frozen)
1/4 cup blueberries (frozen)
5 whole strawberries (frozen)
1 3/4 cup very cold water
2.5 cups spinach

It looks disgusting, but I promise it is not. I got my sister (also a dietitian) on board. This is important now-- I AM NOT drinking this exclusively. No way. I drink this in the morning with my breakfast and later around 3:00 when I am craving a snack. All it is, is a healthy way to get a quick 5-ish servings of fruits and veggies in for busy people. This is the nutrition breakdown:

110 kcals
3.5 g protein
5.3 g fiber
90 mg calcium
2.5 mg iron
And a ton of vitamins and phytochemicals I didn't feel like listing.

If I haven't sold you I have one more pro-green smoothie thing to add. Since I have been drinking these my skin is softer and my hands don't crack and bleed in the cold. I'm serious! So there you have it. Take it or leave it :)

6 comments:

Avree said...

I'll admit, I was skeptical when you first told me about this. I hate it when patients tell me they make some big disgusting smoothie with things like ground flax seed and olive oil. But now I am a green smoothie drinker. It's nice to take a swig of green smoothie when I'm hungry for a snack because with a new baby I'm probably not going to sit down and peel an orange with one hand.

Courtney said...

I will have to try that. I am a big time snacker and my weakness is anything sweet. I'll be the first to admit that I don't get all my fruits and veggies that I need.

val said...

Yum. It doesn't look gross at all. I've always wanted to get into the green smoothie thing. This one seems much less intense than some. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

i love green smoothies. And so do Ethan and Olivia. I have gotten out of the habit of making them lately but keep buying the spinach so that it turns mushy in my fridge and I throw it away and buy more.

and my verification word is fulograp, which is what you would say if you had cold and tried to say full of crap. haha.

Tawnia Zilles said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have been looking for a good green smoothie recipe.

Alleman Family said...

Sorry Girlie! I tried it and couldn't even drink 3 drinks! I followed the recipe to a T and I LOVE LOVE smoothies. I don't know if I did it wrong or what but I just couldn't do it. :)