**Warning: This post is incredibly long, and probably only interesting to close family members and future posterity. Read at your own risk!**
My sister Avree's latest post (about her anniversary, so appropriately entitled "3 Years of Bliss") reminded me that I let my "5 Years of Bliss" posting sneak by last month. I wouldn't be a good Utah-Mormon-Mom blogger if I didn't post something about my wedding anniversary and how wonderful my husband is. So here goes:
It was the big 5 years on Dec. 13, 2008. My actual wedding day, December 13, 2003 was absolutely perfect, the best day of my life up to that point... that's all I will say about that.
I love to hear stories about how people met. In fact, I tag everyone who reads this to post how they met their husbands (if you have one, that is), I love hearing all the details so much! So I will tell you about how Mitch and I met, if you didn't already know. If you hate hearing stuff like this, feel free to stop reading, I won't be offended (I won't even know, duh). It was a crisp, cold February day in 2003, the birds were singing, the sun was shining... he he just kidding. It was a day in February 2003 and I was going to work on a service project tying quilts in our student center. I was going for all the wrong reasons... seriously, I was applying for my dietetics program that month and hours of service counted A LOT on the application. I also joined the Red Cross and volunteered at a local school lunch program that month. I was on a mission. Anyway, I walked past the area where they were tying quilts and saw not one person I knew and decided to keep on walking and ditch it. Then I remembered my application and decided to suck it up and work for an hour. I walked over to the quilt and asked a guy wearing a beanie, a Quiksilver hoodie, and skate shoes where I should start. He handed me a needle and some yarn and said I could start tying next to him. Now usually I am a little shy when I first meet people I don't know, but for some reason I just started chatting it up with this guy. I asked him all kinds of questions, starting with his name, Mitch. Then the next main question, what he was doing there, was a great conversation topic. He was from the "Tubing Club", actually the president of the club. He explained that yes, this was an actual University-sponsored club, and that they went up the canyon, built huge jumps, and did tricks off of them. They had to document service hours to get funding (to pay for tubes and parties) so that's why he was there. Then, several of his other roommates showed up, including Matt Ethington (my future brother-in-law). They asked if I wanted to join the club and being the huge extreme sports fan that I am (ha!), I said sure. Mitch said he would e-mail me an application and then we kept quilting away. Mitch had to leave for class a few minutes later so he packed up his stuff and was getting ready to leave... without my e-mail address. I was too chicken to speak up and give it to him and he headed off without it. I was a bit disappointed because my reasons for wanting to join the club were obviously related to it's president... and then... Matt to the rescue! He said, "Wait, Mitch you forgot to get her e-mail address!" So Mitch came back, got my address, e-mailed me the application (which I still have a copy of that e-mail and the application, it's hilarious), I joined, and about 9 months later I started my "5 Years of Bliss". And that's when Matt met Avree, and 2 years and 18 days later they got married in the same room as Mitch and I, and thus began their "3 Years of Bliss". Funny how things work out. Mitch was the first guy I ever had a huge spark with right from the second I met him. It's a good thing the feeling was mutual! I've said this before on my blog, I'll say it again, Mitch is the absolute perfect guy for me. Here's to many many more anniversaries!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009
5 Years of Bliss
Posted by Cara at 7:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Happy Anniversary...on my birthday I must add. I'm sure your marriage is charmed because you picked that particular day, it definitely is a good day. And I loved hearing about how you guys met, I read every single word!
I already know the whole story and I enjoyed it too. I won't have to do your tag because you already posted my story. I'm very grateful for the tubing club, that Matt spoke up about the e-mail address, and that Mitch and Matt went on the same mission so they could meet and be roommates.
cute.. now i guess i better write about mine!
Very cute and Happy belated Anniversary!
i love that story! because mitch was so bummed when he didn't go to BYu and jana was sure it was because that wasn't where his wife was. And look how else would Avree and matt have met too! mitch had a righteous purpose fo fulfill the promises of heaven...by starting a tubing club!
And EmRee set Travis and CaMee up on a blind date and look, that got not one but 2 of her sisters married! As Jadee often reminds her...
hey cara way to go 5 years! Think it'll last all eternity??? haha just kidding...
Where would we all be without Matt??!! Matt was instrumental in all his roommates marraiges. Love that story. I got misty reading it. Must be the intensity of the baby years.
That is a precious story. I would like to tell you about the first time I met Mitch. It was a hot, sunny, mildly humid day in beautiful Florida. Did I mention there were birds chirping? He was the first missionary that I had a real connection with (I usually didn't talk to other missionaries). We met and the rest is history.
Oh yeah, thanks Matt.
What a cute story! I am glad you posted that. I hope you had a great Anniversary. I hope you have many many more years of "bliss." :)
Hey Cara! I'm excited for you to have two girls - we are sure enjoying ours.
It was fun to hear how you two met since we kindof lost touch after high school. And since you're asking..and I feel like talking :) Casey and I met at Katie Croft's house over UEA weekend my freshman year at Dixie. Katie was dating his friend Dave at the time and had these "older boys" over for a party. At that point I had no interest in dating RMs but when I saw Casey that changed! His friend ended up asking me out first but we soon found our way to each other and dated almost 2 years before we finally got married!
Post a Comment