Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Wyoming

We had a WONDERFUL Christmas this year at Mitch's parents' house in Wyoming! Since it is an 8 hour drive to get there, Santa came a little early and brought Marin a new portable DVD player so she wouldn't go nuts in the car. She was so thrilled and calls it her "DVeedio player" (cross between "video" and "DVD"). We had to trek through some snow, ice, and heavy wind but we made it there Saturday, December 20th. Mitch's brother and sister's families and their combined 8 kids also stayed at Mitch's parents' house so it was a full house! His other sister lives up the road with her 6 kids so with Marin there were 15 grandkids running around, playing, screaming, laughing, eating candy, opening presents, sometimes fighting, but mostly having a blast all week!


We went to Mitch's grandma's house for a large (I'm talking 65 people) Christmas Eve dinner and little program. Mitch's oldest sister EmRee asked Marin to come up and lead the music for the program. She got pretty into it... here is a little video I took with my camera (sorry no sound, I told you I need a new camera!)


Here are a couple of pictures in case you didn't feel the urge to watch the movie...


Then, as tradition goes in the Moncur family, we headed home and Santa had already come (he likes them best I think)! This is what it looks like when Santa comes to 15 kids in one room!

Marin was so excited for Santa to come (because her parents totally psyched her up for the whole affair) and really enjoyed opening her presents, as you can see! Thanks to my mom, we really didn't have to buy Marin much this year!


Okay, I shouldn't have, but I just had to post this picture because these horrible candid shots are the story of my life! Whenever I go through our pictures after an event like this, without fail there are several pictures like this of me! I believe I am trying to get a Tinkerbell doll out of it's box. By the way, what is the deal with dolls being secured to their boxes so thoroughly that it takes an hour to finally get them out!?


Marin's favorite presents came in her stocking...candy, chips, Cheetos! All the junk food I don't normally buy. She had to take a break mid present-opening to eat her Cheetos and Doritos at the same time...


Well, Marin really cleaned up this year. This is the toy box that Mitch built for Marin and I painted. It turned into quite the project, but it matches her room perfectly and is so cute!
Okay, I know this is the longest posting ever, and has been mostly about presents and Santa, but I really didn't forget the true meaning of Christmas I promise. My favorite part about Christmas was getting to spend time with Mitch's wonderful family, who are such good examples to Marin. We missed JaDee and Nicole's family who recently moved clear to ALASKA, and JanaLee's family who were in Texas this year. And I can't let this post be done without listing some of the things I am so grateful for this year...

1. Both Mitch's and my families. Our kids get amazing grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins-- and we get amazing parents, sisters, brothers, and nieces and nephews!
2. For my 2 red-heads-- Mitch and Marin!
3. That our little nephew Bridger survived a very scary, lengthy pediatric ICU stay for an infection that almost took his life this year. We are still praying for him and his complete recovery!
4. For Mitch's secure job that makes it so I can stay home to raise my little Marin.
5. For the chance to add another little girl to our family!
6. For my primary calling that has taught me a lot this year (especially patience!)
7. That my sister Avree moved to Logan this year... woo hoo!
8. That my brother Jaren served a mission in Brazil and came home this year!

This is not an exhaustive list of course, I have many, many more things to be grateful for. These are just the big ones coming to my head at the moment. I hope next year my list will include "Marin being potty trained!" and "That I lost all my baby weight." Here's hoping! I hope everyone else had as merry of a Christmas as we Moncurs did!

7 comments:

Avree said...

Christmas in Wyoming looks almost as fun as "Christmas in St. George" will be next year! I loved the pictures of Marin, I can totally picture her taking her cheeto and dorito break. I only wish #2 on your list of things to be thankful for read, "My 3 redheads-Avree, Mitch, and Marin".

P.S. The word verification for me to post this comment is "dring", I love it when it's something that almost sounds like a word (as opposed to something like "mxmrt").

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the toy box!! It is adorable. Glad to hear you had such a fantastic Christmas.

Bill and Emily Grant said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas! Marin looks like she had a blast!

Brittany said...

HEY CARA, THIS IS BRITTANY EGGERTZ FROM SCHOOL,I FOUND YOUR BLOG FROM MELISSA'S. YOUR LITTLE GIRIL IS SO CUTE. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A GREAT CHRISTMAS!

Nicole said...

yay! I am so glad you put a new post up. i totally laughed out loud at the caandid shot of you...sorry! Did marin dislocate her arm directing the music? We totally miss you guys and wish we were there. the house hunting has not gone well. We have had 3 houses bought right out from under us as we were preparing to make an offer. I have seen dozens and dozens of homes and so has everyone else because we all want the same 3 homes.

anyway so glad to see the chaos wasn't too much for Marin!

Nicole said...

Cara in all of our transferring I do not have your e-mail!! email me at moncur1@juno.com so I can get it back in my address book. Thanks for the comment on my post. We love you guys!

Hunter Family said...

Cara - What a cute blog! Glad you made it to Wyoming safe and sound and had a good Christmas. By the way - I totally agree with you about things being ridiculously hard to get out of their packaging!