Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Sweater Vest Dilemma


Okay, first I have to explain this picture. I was going to make a posting about sweater vests, so I Googled "sweater vest" for a picture (that's what good bloggers do... they have pictures to go along with their ramblings) and this is one of the images that came up. I just couldn't resist putting it here on my blog!

Anyway, so I am posing a question to the throngs of readers who read my blog (ha!)-- what do you think about sweater vests for guys? Now my preference is generally with a shirt worn under them... although if my husband wore one like Mr. Cool up there to work he'd really attract some attention. Anyway, the reason I ask is that recently I was shopping for dress clothes for Mitch (he rarely shops for clothing for himself-- electronics or sporting equipment shopping is a completely different story though) and I got him some nice button-down striped shirts and some sweater vests. He doesn't have to wear a tie to work unless he's meeting with a client, but he does have to wear button shirts and slacks. I think sweater vests look hot on guys (well on my husband at least), but sometimes I am out of touch with fashion-type things. When I showed Mitch his new clothes he raised his eyebrows a bit over the sweater vests. He said he was going to get a lot of crap at work about wearing them, but he was a good sport about it and has been wearing them (side note: I tried to buy him some tighter jeans than he is used to wearing, not that I like tight jeans on guys by any means-- but Mitch still thinks he is a 15-year-old snowboarder/skater and likes to wear his jeans a bit baggier, thus disguising his hot behind-- but it was a no-go.) Well, he gets lots of comments at work every time he wears a sweater vest. In fact, every one of his co-workers said at least something about the vest the first time he wore one. One of his co-workers (a lady who is one of my favorites, she's hilarious!) said all he needed was a bow-tie to complete his look! I don't know if I trust a bunch of CPA's to lend me fashion advice...so, fellow bloggers, what do you think? To sweater vest, or not to sweater vest??

12 comments:

val said...

definitely sweater vests! i love them and am all for them. matt owns several. it's tricky dressing accountants to look nice without looking dorky-huh? :)

Avree said...

I'm all for sweater vests. Did Mitch mention that Matt told everyone to say something about the sweater vests?

Anonymous said...

I think you should tell Mitch to embrace the sweater vests, but I have always thought guys look sexy when they dress preppy.

I hear you on the tighter jeans thing. I keep trying to tell many of the guys I know that tighter jeans are in style now, and have been for years, but they just won't listen.

Nicole said...

I love the sweater vest too! Ben wears them and he is always up on the current fashion trends. I am always begging for his hand me downs for JaDee, but they don't ususally fit. And keep trying on those jeans. Skater jeans are now equvivolent to gangster jeans. And courtney had a whole workshop on spotting gang activity in your area when she was teaching, and that was seriously one of the things they tell teachers to look out for. He might have a sawed off shotgun down his dra'ers.

Tawnia Zilles said...

I've always liked sweater vests, but if I asked Lyle to wear one he would probably laugh at me. I think that they look very classy.

Brown said...

Hey I went into the office the other day to take some paper work into Ben and Mitch came over to show off his new sweater vests so I think secretly he likes them!

A STAR is born said...

I like them. But I always make fun of them when guys at work wear them, come to think of it. I don't know why I do that.

Josh and Cara said...

I say to sweater vest! I like them and agree that they are hot! I haven't got Josh into them but am working on it! Maybe now that Mitch is wearing them, it will help Josh!

p.s. Love the picture up top! :)

eric + ashlee said...

I say you're just lucky he gets to wear nice clothes to work. My husband has to wear what most people have now adapted as pajamas. Not the most flattering, but can be uncomfortably revealing...

Alleman Family said...

I agree to sweater vests... I doubt Ty would ever wear them though. He still lives in high school too, I can't even tell you the clothes he had when we got married! And I STILL married him! :)

Savanna said...

I think sweater vests are so cute. I buy them for my husband too. I think they are great. The picture for this post is way funny. You are so cute.

Jesika Harmon said...

I LOVE vests!! Robbie has a few and they are my favorite. Yes, totally hot.