Yes, I have topped my "old" most embarrassing moment. If you have forgotten about this, please click here.
It all started when I got called to be my ward organist. You may know I play the piano. Well I don't really play the organ. But the organ has this fun little button called the bass coupler that makes it so you don't have to play the foot pedals. It just takes the bottom note (the bass line) from the bass clef and booms it out as if you played it with your foot. Kinda cool. So I've been playing now for about 2 months. I really enjoy it actually. A couple of problems though-- One, I don't know anything about all those little buttons that change the sound of the organ. You know, the ones where it can sound like bells or horns or other cool stuff generally not used in sacrament meeting. Another problem, ANY note you play, whether it's wrong or right, is very very loud, and if it happens to be a wrong one it's very obvious. Playing a wrong note is not my embarrassing story. I do that frequently. What is my embarrassing story? Well I'm about to tell you. So yesterday at church I was playing a nice, quiet sacrament hymn, "Reverently and Meekly Now" (pay attention to the name, it will make my story more embarrassing). I'm about halfway through the last verse, and suddenly my finger slips a little. No problem, except that, Lo and Behold!, glory Hallelujah!, the 9th ward suddenly gets treated to blasting, blaring trumpets for the last verse of their sacrament hymn. Apparently I bumped some type of pre-set and all these little buttons light up, the organ gets very, very, very loud-- and of course, there's the trumpets heralding us. Of course I couldn't turn it off, I didn't know how I turned it on. So, I finished the song, what else could I do? When I finished, the Bishop turned around with a smile on his face. He asked me later if I was having a seizure! The chorister said I should have seen everyone's faces. The thing is, the closing song was "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains." Couldn't I have slipped during that one instead? Well I had a pretty good laugh about it. Luckily I don't take myself too seriously most of the time. Let's hope I don't top this one for awhile yet!
Monday, December 14, 2009
My new most embarrassing moment up to this point
Posted by Cara at 7:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Gotta love church callings. Maybe you should start to do stuff like that randomly so that church is a little exciting for a everyone just once and awhile. :) I would love for that to happen in our ward.
Thanks for the laugh! I agree with Em, you should start doing it on purpose just keep people on their toes. I vote for the bells sound next :) I'm glad you are able to laugh about it!
Haha oh man I can't wait to tell Matt about this one! Thanks for sharing!
Oh how I wish I could have been there.
That would have been good! I some how think that we are not done with embarrassing stories from you.
Oh bwahahaha.......I used to be the ward organist. I too have no idea what all the buttons do. I laughed out loud at your story- way to make your sacrament meeting more exciting.
Oh how I love this story. I have a similar one I'll have to tell you about sometime--and my mom, organist extraordinaire for 20+ years, could fill a book with her embarassing moments.
Thanks for sharing It is the first time I have laughed in a couple of days. Though it did remind me of your funny workout story I cried I was laugh so hard.
Email me and I'll email you back all the details....
tifinifany@yahoo.com
I seriously LOVE that story. I am sure it was funny, but how you told it was awesome! We miss you guys. Hope you have wonderful holidays.
Cara- I never get to see you anymore now that we aren't VT partners and you aren't in Primary! I have to say that I wouldn't have given the organ mishap a second thought except when I looked up at you, you were trying not to laugh which made me laugh. I think you should do it every Sunday! Hope you and your cute fam are doing good.
I would have laughed so hard!! Oh so funny Cara :)
That is so awesome! And the way you described it just kills me! Glory Hallelujah!
Post a Comment