Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Good Man

This last week my Grandpa Sandberg (my dad's dad) passed away. Our family traveled down to Southern Utah to attend his funeral this weekend. It really wasn't a sad, sad funeral or death because my grandpa's health was failing and his quality of life was really declining. My grandma, the absolute love of his life, passed away just under 4 years ago and he seemed a little lost without her. During the funeral some wonderful women from his ward watched all of our nursery-age children. So I was able to really listen to the speakers and have no distractions. As I sat there listening and thinking of my own memories I truly realized how blessed I was to have such a good example of a man as my grandpa. He was just solid, and good. He worked hard, he loved his wife and treated her like a queen, he loved his family and put them first, he was patriotic to his core, he served and took care of other people, he had a hilarious sense of humor, he was kind and slow to anger, in fact my dad or any of us have never heard him curse or lose his temper. He was just that good, and I sure loved him. He and my grandma loved to dance. Like really loved to dance. They were great square dancers and took every opportunity they could to go square dancing. They wore the matching fancy outfits and just loved it. They took me with them several times and my grandpa danced with me. My grandma used to let me dress up in her older square dancing dresses. So when dad called and told me my grandpa had passed away that morning, I thought to myself, "Oh good, my grandma and grandpa are square dancing in heaven now." What an amazing reunion!

3 comments:

Avree said...

Great post! Grandpa and Gramdma were pretty amazing people.

Nicole said...

So sorry to here about your grandpa. It doesn't sound like it would be heaven without square dancing!

EmRee said...

The best part of families as we get to love all of your family too. Thanks for sharing.