Okay now that it has been almost a month since Andrew was born, I will tell his birth story. I am morbidly fascinated with others' birth stories, so if any of you are like me, here you go. If not, just skip this post. But I promise it's pretty mild and I won't give too much gross information all right?
So luckily for me, I had a doctor appointment on the day he was born (side note: I have just happened to have a doctor appointment on the day all 3 of my children were born, and as you read on you'll realize how lucky that really has been). So I went in, and lo and behold, I was dilated to a 6! No labor pains all day, no way I would have thought I was in labor. I swear if I have any more kids they'll be born at home because there is something wrong with me! So my doctor tells me he better send me over to the hospital because at a 6 I won't last much longer. Although, due to a staffing shortage there, they did have me wait 1 hour to check in.
What did I do in the meantime? Well of course I headed over to Firehouse Pizza to watch my sweet brother-in-law Matt take on the 32 inch pizza challenge. I also helped myself to some focaccia bread and salad. Mitch and a whole bunch of other Jones Simkins employees (slow day at work?) were there eating lunch and watching the event. At this point, I did start having a few contractions. But nothing painful, nothing that I would think "Huh, I better go to the hospital."
So I waited my hour and checked into the hospital. Then I waited awhile for Mitch to drop Marin at my sister Avree's (Kate was already there). Then my doctor came in and we chatted for awhile. When he checked me again, I was at an 8. Seriously still not feeling my labor pains at this point, can you believe that? So I thought I had better get my epidural and so I got that. In retrospect I should have saved my $300 anesthesiologist fee because it didn't really work. Around 7:00 p.m. I started feeling some intense contractions. Like the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I kept clicking my little epidural thingy that gives more meds until I maxed it out and it wouldn't give me any more. I was still feeling contractions, one on top of the other. I was trying to be tough, but dang! I've never felt those pains before and I told Mitch to get my nurse stat! She came in, sure enough it was time to push. The doctor came in, chatted with Mitch for awhile (I was ready to KILL HIM at that point) and then I started pushing. Oh heavens, was I motivated to get him out of me! I've never felt that part of labor before, having always had epidurals that actually worked. So luckily, I only pushed about 10 times before he was born or I swear I would have turned into that crazy lady you see on TV that is screaming profanities at her husband!
And then there he was. My sweet little boy. They brought him to me and I just snuggled him (I'm crying as I type this) and I was just overwhelmed with how much I loved him already. He is the sweetest little addition to our family and I can feel his sweet little personality already. He is such a good baby so far and is really chunking out. I just kiss his chubby cheeks all the time and I can't wait for him to start smiling (oh, and sleeping through the night). So although 3 kids has been HARD, and I'm sleep deprived, he's OH SO WORTH IT! So there's the story of Andrew James Moncur's birth.
(Sorry Jaren, I know this kind of thing grosses you out, but that is what babies look like a few seconds after they're born)
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Here's the story...
Posted by Cara at 9:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
um, you were an 8 and didn't feel anything? that foccacia bread must have had some painkillers in it ;)
fun to read his story. glad he's here and that i've met him!!
I love birth stories too. I hope the next time I'm in labor goes as quickly as yours does!
It's fun to hear your story! I can't believe you were dilated to an 8 before you felt anything! I guess that is lucky right! I couldn't help but tear up while reading this too! I can't wait to meet that cute little chubby guy!
I love the part where you were going to KILL HIM... I am not sure if you meant Mitch of the doctor, but both deserved it if they were chatting like there wasn't a lady in labor in the room. I love birth stories too. Can't wait to see this chubby guy in a MONTH!! POst some more pictures somewhere...I want to see more of him.
Do you think you love him more than your other kids because you sort of went natural? I bet you do. Oh I just love him too, I love kissing his chubby cheeks!
WOW...I WAS that crazy lady from tv... Anyway, wow. I'm sorry the epidural didn't work!! FYI: I deleted a portion of my comment because it was the same as Avree's. I feel WAY more attached to Eli because he was "sort of natural" and Logan was not. Kidding. Love them both. Andrew is adorable. I love sweet baby boys!
I am so glad that you shared your story. I have been meaning to call you and see how everything went, don't worry I am still going to call you! I haven't been nervous about having three until you said that three kids is HARD, hopefully Andrew will start sleeping through the night to make it better.
Post a Comment