Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving update

Better late than never...

Well, I only set off the smoke alarms once while cooking my Thanksgiving dinner so I'll consider it a success! Actually it was for the recipe below and the veggies weren't even burnt, just a little dark on the bottoms. They were so yummy! Thanks Martha, seriously I am going to make them a bunch this winter because it's a really healthy recipe too. You all should really try it. I have a whole bunch of butternut squash from my garden and that was my favorite. Avree's little baby Spencer was right in the middle of his nap when all the alarms in my house went off! Poor little guy was probably scared to death! I also found another Martha recipe for the turkey that turned out yummy. I made some herb butter (just mix butter and fresh herbs) and rubbed it underneath the skin of the turkey (side note: it was pretty dang disgusting to reach my whole arm up inside the skin, but not as disgusting as sticking my hand up the turkey's butt and cleaning it out. In the middle of getting it all ready I had the thought, "wow I can't believe what I'm actually doing right now.") But... it really made the turkey really yummy and browned it nicely. I forgot to charge my camera batteries so Avree took a bunch of pictures for me, I'll post a few when she gets them to me (don't let the suspense kill you). I have the coolest family, it was great spending time with all of them, especially in my own house! It's the first time I haven't had to travel at least 6 hours for a Thanksgiving in the past 8 years. It was a whole lot smaller than I'm used to-- only 8 adults, but it was one of my favorites yet. And the best part-- we had SIX pies for only 8 of us. Yeah, that's right! My mom makes the best pies ever!

6 comments:

sav said...

ok, i just gained control of myself! i was just cracking up about the turkey butt! haha! i was serioulsy laughing so hard! thanks for that, i can just imagine you sticking your arm under the skin...

Rachel said...

wow.... see that is why i don't do things like that... I can't handle it you are very brave!! Glad you had fun! (my grandma made 13 pies for all of us!!!)

Nicole said...

Contrary to your not claiming to be martha, this post might prove that you are! I would never reach under the skin, but I have reached up a turkey's butt. I just kept thinking that we eat eggs from a chicken's butt so this in infinitly better than that!

Annaca said...

Wow...you never cease to amaze me! Nice job on the Thanksgiving success (and the fire alarm fun).

CassideeT said...

I cooked the turkey this year as well, and I agree that it was completely disgusting. I had to put on gloves to be able to deal with it.

Em said...

So impressive I wouldn't have even dared to start something like that!!!! Well done!