Monday, June 22, 2009

A Story About a Shower

This morning in the shower, I started thinking about some of the little things that have changed in my life since I became a mother. Obviously, there have been the big changes, but I caught myself thinking about the smaller ones... like taking a shower. There were a few basic steps to taking a shower for me. Boy did they change. I will refer you to the following comparison:

Before Kids
1. Recognize the need for a shower.
2. Immediately get in.
3. Shampoo and condition hair.
4. Clean with nice-smelling body wash.
5. Shave legs if needed.
6. Get out and dry off.

After Kids
1. Recognize the need for a shower.
2. Immediately get in.
2a. Not so fast. No matter how disgusting you are you must wait for the stars in the universe to align perfectly before you can get in (i.e. both children fed, content, occupied, or sleeping). If you miss this precious window, you are pretty much out of luck until back-up arrives (husband).
3. Shampoo and condition hair.
3a. Realize that your 3-year-old has dumped your entire bottle of conditioner out during her bath and refilled it with water. Forgo conditioning today.
4. Clean with nice-smelling body wash.
4a. Again, no body wash available because said 3-year-old emptied the bottle.
4b. Use husband's Irish Spring bar soap which makes you smell like a man.
5. Shave legs if needed.
5a. Phone rings. Panic remembering you left the phone next to the sleeping baby.
5b. Baby wakes up, starts crying.
5c. Decide to forgo leg shaving again.
6. Get out and dry off.
6a. As you stand there in your towel with dripping hair, in walks the 3-year-old with snot hanging out of both nostrils past her chin and a very distressed look on her face. You quickly wipe her nose. And whew! you're done...

I'm sure most of you can relate. I assure you, I wouldn't change my life at all, but I think this Saturday I'm going to demand that Mitch let me have an uninterrupted shower, in which I will have time to condition my hair and shave my legs!

7 comments:

Avree said...

Haha, I don't have two kids so I can't totally relate. It's usually not too difficult for me to take a shower because I can take it during Spencer's huge afternoon nap. However...I get totally stressed if I have to shower before 3:00pm.

Courtney said...

LOL! I can totally relate to that. For the first few months of Brooke's life my showers were spent with my head poking out of the shower curtain making sure she wasn't crying. Throw in the fact that Blake works nights sometimes and needs to sleep during the day, Brooke must be 100% content for me to shower. The other night I asked Blake to watch Brooke for me so I could take a bath. It was heaven!

val said...

ha! totally funny and totally true. annie usually takes a shower WITH me. she plays with her toys in the back and i quickly shower, never shaving my legs and get out so she can splash around in the tub while i frantically get my hair dry before she requests to get out.
i can't imagine how things are going to be with two. i'll probably get dreadlocks.

Em said...

oh the joys!

Nicole said...

LOL!! How about the one where your 3 year old pulls the shower curtain open without her clothes on and demands to get in with you. You tell her no, but she gets in anyway, pushes the stopper in the tub and turns it into a bath in which you must participate or else the world will suffer from a nuclear melt down.

Tawnia Zilles said...

This is so true. I have been there many times.

eric + ashlee said...

Cara, I thought this was so funny! After I read it to myself I I had to read again out load to Eric. Then Nicole's comment was funny too. I just make Lily sit in her bouncy chair in the bathroom so I can check on her every two minutes. I'm lucky where she is still in the immobile stage.