Monday, June 1, 2009

Ode to Dance

This morning at the gym a favorite song of mine came on, just as I was doing my 50 lb. bicep curls (okay, 5 lbs). You know the song at the end of Napoleon Dynamite when Deb and Napoleon are playing tether-ball? It's called "The Promise" by When in Rome. Anyway, it reminded me of the movie, which reminded me of this:

Napoleon Dynamite Dance Scene

I love it! My old favorite dance scene was from The Three Amigos, with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short to the song "My Little Buttercup". In fact, my good friend Jesika and I learned the entire thing, videoed ourselves dancing it, and sent the video to some boys she'd met at Bear Lake (this was in 9th grade). Boy, I'll bet they were so impressed!

Well anyway, I've always loved to dance. However I am not a good dancer (at least I know this). When I was about 6 or 7 my mom made me choose between dance and piano lessons (they couldn't afford both) and I picked piano. While I wouldn't change that decision for anything since I love playing the piano and I have been able to do lots of good things with it, I do love dancing and appreciate the art.

I have some great memories of dancing with my friends--especially Ash, Stef, and Melinda. Ash and I unsuccessfully tried to learn the moves to "Thriller" one time. Oh, and guys, remember our Shania Twain line dance we made up? It was awesome.. we busted it out at the country music dance club and had at least 50 people dancing it with us. In fact, that dance caught the eye of my husband-to-be at the Tubing Club's V-Day party karyoke contest. Our group and Mitch were selected as finalists to compete in a karyoke-off for first place. Alas, he took away the prize, but the whole thing, including us dancing on our knees to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" is still on camera. Believe me, it's one my kids will die over if they ever get their hands on it. Mitch asked me on a date shortly thereafter, but I digress...

My dream would be to someday learn all of Napoleon's sweet moves, but until then I'll have to be content to be a spectator to the lovely art of the dance, except of course when I dance with Marin (who absolutely loves to dance)!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Love that you have the video on your blog! That is awesome. There was a teacher who taught her students the ND dance. Wouldn't that be the coolest teacher ever?! Sadly, it wasn't me and I was just the lame English teacher next door. Oh and I hope that video of you dancing somehow gets leaked onto the internet for all of us to enjoy.

Em said...

Hilarious! I have the best inner dancer myself ha and when it breaks loose watch out!! Thanks for the reminder of how much I love those dance moves!

Avree said...

You forget to mention "the tornado" and all the other ugly dances you and I did in our living room. Oh and the "marching" to Manheim Steamroller.