Okay, so to preface this story I have to admit, I'm a bit of a clutz. I've always struggled with the whole coordination thing. I'm not really great at any sports (luckily my husband is great at all of them so my kids may have a chance), P.E. was always a nightmare for me during school, and I even struggle with small mechanical-type actions that require hand-eye coordination-- yes, I was the only person at my CPR class last night who couldn't get the whole head-tilt, chin-lift thing down while administering mouth-to-mouth (hope you don't go into cardiac arrest in my presence)!
I've been working out at a gym here for the last year. I'm not one of those pretty gym girls, I'm the one in my husband's T shirt and basketball shorts who is drenched in sweat and looks like death when I'm done. This week has not been a great one for me in the clutziness area as far as the gym goes. I have had quite a few little embarrassing moments with no one to share them with (except strangers who pretend like nothing happened) and things like that are so much more funny when you are able to share... so laugh with me friends, while I list my accidents at the gym just from this week:
1) I finished working on a cross-trainer type machine and was cleaning it off. The foot pedal things were slowly falling to balance themselves and my shin got in the way. It knocked me backward and my shin was bleeding and has a huge bump and bruise on it now.
2) I dropped my water bottle near someone else's elliptical. The person next to me wasn't going to pause their work-out for anything, and when I bent down to retrieve my water bottle I got a little too close and was whacked by their arm bar thing. Don't worry, no permanent injuries there.
Keep in mind, #3-#7 all happened just this morning.
3) I walked away from my machine with the headphones still plugged in and on my head. Instead of pulling the headphones out of their plug, it jerked my head backward.
4) Right after that, I tripped on my own machine
5) Shortly after that I tripped on yet another machine, but got my shoe stuck and it came all the way off. So I had to bend down and put my shoe back on while treadmillers politely pretended to look the other way.
6) Then I was trying to adjust the height of a weight machine seat and the pin slipped out and the whole seat crashed to the bottom level and made a very loud noise (again, fellow gymmers politely looked away).
7) To top it all off, I shut my jacket in my car door.
I was going to attempt the workout ball this week but I have decided against it. I am picturing all sorts of messes I could get myself into with that one. If this has amused you, and you want a real doozy please see my post from 2007 titled "My most embarrassing moment up to this point" which relates a little spill I had in Tai Pan Trading the day after Christmas.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Gym Rat
Posted by Cara at 6:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
That is awesome! Thanks for the early morning laugh. I am glad to learn I am not the only one who does dorky things at the gym. I like to blame my moments on being so focused and into my workout that I forget the little things. (Yeah right!) Perhaps we should go to the gym together. Then we would both have someone to laugh with us rather than at us.
Good call on the exercise ball...I had a mishap Monday with a ball. 3actually. First I fell of doing chest presses with my dumbells and it rolled all the way across the gym. Second, I rolled off sideways reaching over for my water bottle. Third, while holding it between my ankles and doing leg lifts it fell out, smashed my nose and then proceeded to roll across the other side of the gym and knocked over my neighbors water bottle.
But for a really great story you have to go to the link on my blog for Linda and read her "Oh My Hell" entry. Lets just say it reason to be wary of treadmills. HILARIOUS!
Oh my gosh I just read Linda's posting and I about died laughing! For those of you who aren't going to check, Nicole's friend was running on the treadmill, moved over to blow her nose, and her PANTS GOT SUCKED IN AND RIPPED OFF! I can't believe this is a true story. Thanks for sharing Nicole!
This is the funniest post I have read in a long time. You are awesome! I couldn't stop laughing and my kids kept saying "mom what is so funny" I couldn't explain it but kept on laughing. Thank you for the great laugh! We will be up there this Sat. Hope to see you!
I'm glad you made it out of there alive! You are too funny, thanks for the laugh.
This is hilarious! And can I just say for the record, that pretty gym girls are like an oxymoron. I go to Gold's and it's like this weird fashion meat market. Aren't we just there to exercise? I look hideous, especially when pregnant because my regular gym clothes fit too tight, so I do need to shift to my husband's gear. By the way, I'm glad you found my blog. I think as long as you know the person, it's not blog stalking right? See you!
Umm, I loved your post. I am glad to hear that I am not the only idiot at the gym. I used to share my moments with Avree, but whilst she is out of commision, I must go through them alone. I go to the gym at Hill Air Force Base because it's free for us. Sometimes I step on the part of the tread mill that isn't moving with one foot, and the other foot is still on the belt........and am surrounded by rock hard military dudes that run at like 9.8 speed......
Sounds like a home gym would work out better for you. At least that way no one would see all your accidents!
I think it was a wise decision to stay away from the exercise ball, maybe in a few years you could work up to it.
Cara...holy cow. I somehow missed adding your blog to my google reader (a way to be informed of when your favorite blogs are updated) which means I have not checked your blog since February!!!! I just thought you were like Sara and never updated...but you do!!! I had so much to read up on. I'm so sorry I haven't commented...it's because I didn't realize I was missing out on your blog.
It was so fun to see pictures of Easter and Marin and Mitch's birthdays. And I loved your gym stories! Spencer is majorly adorable and I think you're a superblogger! I can't wait to make that chocolate cake. I'm slobbering just thinking about it. What is Dutch cocoa? I call it blog hopping too and I figure if people don't want you hopping on their blog they will make their blog private. I guess I better get going on my pet peeves.
Ok, I think I've covered all I needed to say.
Fun to see you a few weeks ago. We should do that more often.
I've added your blog to my reader and won't be missing anything else :)
I was laughing so hard that I couldn't even tell Kyle why I was laughing and crying! Thanks for the stories.
cara, that is truly great! thanks for sharing these moments! it helps us all be a little more "real". I am glad to see everything else going well for you, yea!! summer is finally here huh?
Post a Comment