Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pet Peeves

Is it legal to make up your own tag? I know that tags must start somewhere, right? Why not with me? I want to start my own because I'm interested to see how many people will actually take me up on it, and I am also interested in their answers (specifically Stef's, so don't let me down). My tag is titled "Pet Peeves" and I am wondering what people's top 5 pet peeves are. I will start with my own, in no particular order. Here goes:

1) When people ride their bike in the middle of traffic as if they are driving a car. Don't get me wrong, I do support riding a bike as a form of transportation, BUT.... in Logan, I seem to always get stuck behind some some bozo who is going 15 mph right down the middle of the road. They usually signal with their arms and I respect the coordination it takes to do that, but it doesn't make up for the fact that there are 10 cars behind them waiting for them to move over. If you are one of these people and I have offended you, I am sorry, but it needed to be said.

2) Self-proclaimed "nutrition experts"-- I know there are people out there who know a ton about nutrition who aren't dietitians. I just wonder why I picked one of the only professions out there in which random people tell you how good they are at your job, with no formal training.

3) This goes along with #2. When people tell me what they eat. I know this sounds weird, but it happens more than you would think (fellow dietitian bloggers, please back me up on this). The scenario is always something like this. "Oh, you're a dietitian? I am such a horrible eater! Guess what I just ate?" or "So you're a dietitian? I'm actually a bit of a health expert myself *chuckle, chuckle* (see #2). I usually make myself a breakfast shake with flaxseed, blueberries, beta-carotene, lycopene, protein powder, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, garlic, and [insert every other supplement or health food known to man] for breakfast. Is that healthy?" Nurses at the hospital seem particularly prone to this.

4) When people tell me about their dreams, especially really long ones that have nothing to do with me.

5) People eating breakfast cereal. I don't care what kind it is, it totally grosses me out to see people eat cereal-- especially really soggy stuff. My husband has this same issue so we can't eat breakfast together if we're eating cereal... I'm serious, it bugs me THAT bad.

Okay, I'm on a roll now and don't feel inclined to stop at 5. Here's a few more that I just need to put out there:

6) When people mis-spell the word "you're".

7) The word "lover." I hate this word more than I can express. I get a cold shiver down my spine whenever I hear it. Mitch says it often just to drive me nuts!

Okay, that's enough. I know this posting is a little negative, but keep in mind it's all in fun. I think you can learn a lot about a person by hearing what drives them insane. I'm counting on you, my fellow bloggers, to take me up on this and do my "Pet Peeve" tag. And in advance, I'm warning you that I don't want any comments like "Gee, I just don't have any pet peeves." Everyone does. I tag EVERYONE WHO READS THIS!!! (But especially Avree, Ashlee, Stef, Melinda,Val, Nicole, and Christine because I think they actually read my blog on a regular basis).

13 comments:

Jen said...

This is funny. My pet peeve list could go on for days. I better not even start it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

1. I ride a bright pink and green cruiser bike but usually stick to the sidewalks. If you ever see someone riding it down the middle of the road using hand signals please hit them with your car because it means my bike has been stolen.

2. I buy my dogs homemade dog biscuits at the Farmer's Market. Does this make me a doggie nutrition expert?

3. I ate really soggy cold cereal for breakfast. Is that healthy?

4. I had this really long dream I can't wait to tell you about. Call me.

5. See #3.

6. Your too funny.

7. Have I annoyed you yet Lover? Eww. Okay. You are right. That is way too gross.

Cara said...

Christine, now you've really pushed my buttons. I'm glad I've passed on my hatred of the word "lover" to you too. I would also love to see your bike (to know who to run down in the road of course).

Anonymous said...

Cara: Thanks for helping me waste time at work. If you really want to see the bike Steve bought me check out our April, 2007 post.

Steve said...

Re: #1: If Logan/Cache County were to just put in some bike lanes, this wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. Of course, the cost for such would have to come out of the tax revenue coffers, and I know how much Logan/Cache County-ites despise their (or should I say they're??- Just kidding, that one bugs me too) tax money being spent on ANYTHING that is for the community good. I love to bike, but just so you know, LEGALLY you are supposed to bike in the street, unless there is a bike specific sidewalk or bike lane (there are all of about 2 1/2 miles of bike specific sidewalk in Logan, btw). You can actually be ticketed on a bicycle if you ride on a pedestrian sidewalk. So, if you get behind me on my bike and I'm in the street, I promise I'll be cranking as hard as I can (I can kick it up to about 25-30 mph on a flat street), but please know that I'm only in the road because I have to be (although when I do bike, I try to stay off to the side as much as possible to let traffic get past me).

Cara said...

I LOVE that this post prompted a comment from Steve, who I've never even really talked to in my life! Thanks Steve for the info. I will be a little more lenient toward street bikers now that I know they're just obeying the law! I will also join your campaign to get more bike lanes. And Christine, you're (I almost just spelled that wrong, how embarrassing would that have been!) welcome. Anything I can do to help you be less productive at work...

Anonymous said...

If you see a man who looks like Steve riding my cruiser bike down the middle of the road do not hit HIM with your car. Perhaps he is just taking my bike in to get a new basket. You may however honk your horn and use any appropriate angry hand gestures because let's face it, he probably deserves it.

A STAR is born said...

Second post I've read today that includes grammatical pet peeves. I love that about grammar. I'm a grammar snob and I totally say things incorrectly all the time. Can I put hypocrites on my peeve list?
I will blog about this shortly...stay tuned.
PS Does Ashlee mean Ashlee Andrews Stettler? And does that mean she has a blog?

Karissa said...

This is a fantasic idea and I agree with you on almost all points! 2 and 3 are especially on my list, although I am confused by number 5. I'm thinking about stealing this for my blog.....we'll see how ambitious I can get.

Nicole said...

OK Cara- I love tot tell people my pet peeves almost as much as I love to dream about you!

#1 I hate dirty socks on the floor. And with 2 boys and of course a husband they seem to be everywhere!

#2 Runny noses on kids other than my own especially when I have to wipe them. There is something gross about phlegm not geneticall common to your own.

#3 Not using a turn signal!! Utahns pay attention! Please tell me you are turning, changing lanes etc.

#4 Turn signals left on for miles...They are so seldom seen that when there is a car with its blinker on you never know to take it seriously!

#5 Ignorant voters. I am still ticked over the whole school voucher ordeal. Rhetoric and bunch of PTA moms got involved without knowing or caring about the facts, benefits and opportunity this could have afforded a number of kids with problems in our public schools.

#6 (I too cannot stop at 5) SCHOOLS in UTAH! Oh this could be a long one, but I sum it up with wishing the schools would get with it here.

Cara said...

Can you tell Nicole is a teacher? :)

CassideeT said...

As a nurse who used to work at a hospital, I feel strangely compelled to tell you about this new diet I'm on to lose weight. It consists of eating rice krispy treats for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. It's really healthy because the rice krispies are vitamin fortified. I've gained a few from it so far, but any day the pounds will start melting off. What do you think?

I loved your pet peeves, they gave me a good laugh.

Annaca said...

Cara, I had the best dream last night that I'm dying to share with you, so give me a call when your not busy!! You're hilarious...I totally want to do this tag.