Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I did not know...


Well, I learned something new in the past week. CATERPILLARS POOP. A LOT. My good friend Heather rounded up a few caterpillars for her kids and she let us have 2 of our own. So I gave them some leaves, poked a few holes in the lid of a mason jar, and explained to Marin how wonderful it would be when they made cocoons and turned into butterflies (although I apparently didn't explain it as well as I thought I had, because later that day Marin came running in with 2 of her friends, brought them over to the jar and said, "Okay mom, we're ready to watch them turn into caterpillars!") . Well, who knew that caterpillars ate so much so fast. I certainly did not. Mitch came home from work and Marin went to show him our new fuzzy friends and the first thing he said was, "What the heck? Caterpillars poop?" Sure enough, they'd pooped the whole place up. I read on Heather's blog that caterpillars eat 5 times their weight in leaves every day. Well, it has to go somewhere. I guess they don't just eat and eat until they get huge and explode. Everything poops I guess. But dang! I finally roped Mitch into cleaning out the jar and literally seconds after he did it, they had both pooped again. I'll spare you a picture, it's rather gross. Aren't you glad I'm sharing my new-found knowledge with you? I just want you all to be aware of this in case you ever agree to take on a pet caterpillar!

3 comments:

Avree said...

Sick.

Nicole said...

Olivia is into asking if things poop. Like the other day, "Mom, do fish poop?" "yes." "But they don't have bums. Where are the toilets in the water?" "they just poop in the water." "And they swim in it?" "yes."

So Olivia might like some caterpillar poop pictures!

Heather said...

So maybe I should have told you that.. I really didn't think to, so sorry. If you want to ditch the buggers I won't hate ya! :)